We desperately need to have another alcohol conversation with our students and it cannot wait any longer. With homecomings, dances, and fall parties right around the corner, this is a conversation we can't afford to miss. Just read through these facts to get a feel for how important this discussion really is with MS students (whether they want to hear it again or not).
- 30% of 8th graders have already tried alcohol
- Kids develop perceptions of alcohol as young as 2nd and 3rd grade
- Students are most influenced by their parents view on alcohol through age 21
- Children start to think positively about alcohol between ages 9 and 13
- 21% of young people have tried more than a sip of alcohol by age 13
For more astounding facts about middle school students and alcohol, as well as some information on having these conversations, click the links below.
Discussion questions with MS students – What are your thoughts on alcohol? Have you seen/tried alcohol? Where? What happened if you did try it? If you didn't, what caused you not to? Is alcohol good, bad, or neither? Why?